PC (Protection Controller)
This course is designed to train persons who have been nominated by their line manager/sponsor to enable them to attain the Protection Controller competence.
A Protection Controller must be appointed when a line blockage is required to be taken and shared by two or more COSSs or IWAs.
The PC course will take delegates through the procedures as set out in Handbook 8 of the Rule Book, as well as highlighting the importance of using the correct communication protocols and adopting the
appropriate behaviours to be able to carry out this role safely and effectively.
The aim of the course is to provide delegates with the skills and underpinning knowledge required to undertake Protection Controller duties in line with with the Protection Controller unit of competence.
Delegates will be awarded with a Sentinel recognised certificate upon successful completion of this course. An update to the candidate’s Sentinel card, showing PC competence, will be applied for.
Prerequisites and Requirements
- Minimum age of 18.
- Must hold a valid Sentinel Track Safety Card and meet the requirements of NR/L2/CTM/021 – Competence and Training in Track Safety.
- Meet the medical requirements of Network Rail Standard NR/L2/OHS/00124 Competence Specific Fitness Medical Requirements.
- In addition, the requirements of Network Rail Specification NR/L2/OHS/00120 (Drugs & Alcohol) must be met.
- It is the responsibility of delegates’ Local Manager to decide upon their suitability to attend this course, in accordance with the current issue of NR/L2/CTM/021 – Competence and Training in Track Safety.
- Must hold a valid Sentinel Track Safety Card endorsed with PTS and COSS.
Initial: 1 day
Re-Cert: Integral to the COSS Re-Cert course
Note: The PC Initial course starts with a verification test of their COSS knowledge that the candidate must pass in order to continue with the training.